Shogo Kubo began playing guitar from the age of 10. Studied classical guitar under Mitsutoshi Tanaka (a prominent guitarist in Japan, instructed by Matsuda Akinobu, a disciple of Andres Segovia) for approximately 10 years.
He Debuted in the Obihiro New Musicians Concert. A year later, began to instruct guitar and became a resident performer at the Obihiro Takarajima. Traveled to Europe, mainly in Spain, studying guitar and during that time joined the Emilio Pujure Institute of Music and took part in international music seminars.
In Japan, has been instructing at Hokkaido Newspaper Cultural Center. Performances during that time include Obihiro Centennial Museum Concert, Chernobyl Charity Concert, H.I.C.O. Concerts and numerous other events.
Traveled to Oceania (New Zealand, Australia) and spent the next two years teaching and performing guitar. During that time, instructed primary and intermediate local school students. Performances include a luncheon party for the Prime Minister of New Zealand Helen Clark, The New Zealand/Japan Society, B.F.S. Galleria, Music shop demonstration concert and numerous other events.
Since 2002, has immigrated to United States of America. Performed across the United States, in Canada, and the United Kingdom. Was selected as an official sanctioned musician for “Music Under New York” Performing Arts Program. Performances include Broadway Concerts Direct at Merkin Concert Hall – “Sopranos License To Trill”, “International Enchantments”, Taste of Times Square, Grand Central Holiday fair, Unite Here! Immigration Event, Atlas Park Shows, USA Tennis Open, Inamori Kazuo Seiwajuku, and other numerous events.
Currently focusing on teaching and performing in the New York area.
CD Releases: “Cielo Abierto” and “Aranjuez”
Guitar: José Ramírez 1a – 1983
All private lessons are taught at my studio. There is a guitar available at the studio, but it is recommended to have your own guitar, especially for practicing at home.
Hi, My name is SHOGO KUBO and I am a Spanish Classical Guitarist from Japan.
I have been playing guitar for 25 years, and have over 15 years of experience teaching guitar to students of all ages.
At first, you will begin by making your own sounds, using your fingers and nails. Then we will proceed to learning one note at the time. After that, we will move on to reading sheet music. Once you learn the classical guitar techniques, you will be able to apply them to all kinds of music.
The classical guitar has a wide range of world musical styles and there is something for everyone: Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Modern, Spanish, Tango, Popular, sorts of Flamenco, Jazz, Rock, etc.
The rate is $40 in each individual lesson. or $35 for each lesson if you are paying for four lessons in advance, so the total payment is $140.
Each lesson is approximately 60 minutes.
I’ve released a couple of albums which are available to purchase here:
Andaluza / E.Granados
Carmen Habanera / Bizet
Serenata Espanola / J.Malats
Aranjuez / J.Rodorigo
Estrellita / M.Ponce
Estude No.1 / H.Villa-Lobos
Prelude / L.Brouwer
Yesterday / Arrenged by T.Takemitsu
Prelude / J.S.Bach
Adelita / F.Tarrega
Lagurima / F.Tarrega
Cancion / F.Mompou
Cathedral – allegro solemne / B.Mangore
Fuga / J.S.BachFlamenco, Jazz, Rock, etc.
US $15.00 (includes shipping and handling)
Recuerdo De La Alhambra / F.Tarrega
Pica Pica / Anonima
Tango En Ski / R.Dyens
Verano Porteno / A.Piazzolla
El Testamento de Ameria / M.Llobet
El Noi De La Mare / M.Llobet
Bee / M.Pujol
Asturias / I.Albeniz
Cavatina ‘ The Deer Hunter’ / S.Myers
Cielo Abierto / Q.Sinesi
Romance ‘ Fodrbidden Games’ / Anonima
El Vito / J.Azupiaz
US $15.00 (includes shipping and handling)
I’ll be recording videos where I perform selected classics from various styles. Please visit my Youtube channel for more.
- Seriously people, this is no joke. Yesterday while I was at the Santa Monica Beach I saw the best classical guitarist I have ever heard playing at the end of the pier for tips. His name is Shogo Kubo and is from Japan. He studied in Spain for a year. I hope that someone can help him so that he can be performing for audiences around the world on a stage where this guy belongs. He is definitely a master guitarist. I am posting this here because I know there are many people here who really appreciate talented guitarists. I hope that anyone who is in the L.A. area and loves great guitar playing will go to hear this guy.Janet K
- Dear Shogo, Thank you for helping our wedding even more romantic than we hoped it would be. Your playing was beautiful, and really set the tone for the ceremony. We also appreciated your professionalism and flexibility throughout the whole process. Thanks again for helping make it the wedding of our dreams! Best wishes.Cindy and John
- Hi Shogo, thanks so much for coming to perform at our wedding; you made a special day really great! Everyone loved your performance, and it was such a pleasure to meet you!! I (and I'm sure Rich) would love to come and see you play at La Cocina; I used to go to the one on 8th Ave and 46th Street - great food - and I look forward to checking you out uptown. See you again soon.Bronwyn Burke
- Dearest Shogo, I cannot begin to express how wonderful our wedding was, your music was a magical backdrop to an incredible ceremony and cocktail hour. My guests could not stop remarking how beautifully you played!! Please accept my most sincerest thanks for your musical talents and professionalism. I will certainly come to see you perform again with Peter and will recommend you to anyone looking for a gifted musician.Betty Aviles
- Kubo san, I was fortunate enough to hear you play while you were in Sydney, near the Opera House in 2001. I must say that to this day, you are one of the most soulful and skilful guitar players I have ever had the pleasure of hearing. I am wondering, would you ever consider playing elsewhere in the States, particularly in my state of Alabama? It would be a great honor to host a concert for you in one of the many concert halls we have here.Paul Thornton
- Dear Shogo-sama. We really appreciate your great performance. Thank you so much! We discussed that we chose right person, musician for our wedding. Once again, thank you for the great performance! Take care and keep in touch!Michal and Keiko
- Hello Shogo, My name is Marc Tucciarone .I too am a classical guitarist. Today, Monday, I heard you playing in the times square station! I heard you playing the Aranjuez adagio. Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was totally beautiful playing. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed listening to you. I had to catch an appointment; I wish I could have stayed longer. What kind of guitar was that? it sounded so warm. Please tell me when I might hear you again. Your art is rekindling my lost love of the guitar. Thanks so much!Marc Tucciarone
- Listened to you in central park and purchased your cd's. You’re among the best I’ve ever heard and will be checking your web site for a new cd! Again, thank you. You have exceptional talent and I’m sure I’ll hear more about you in the future. Have a great Day.George Davis